Tewin Cowper Primary is proud to be an active school that provides an inclusive PE curriculum as well as an range of extra-curricular activities. We offer a wide (and changing) range of sports for the children to participate in, which help children to understand the importance of an active lifestyle (and associated health benefits) and increase their overall participation in events through the Hertford and Ware School Partnership. Children in our school develop a range of physical skills as well as learn traditional team sports such as maypole dancing, netball, football, hockey, dance, cheerleading and rounders.
Over 2021/22 Tewin Cowper Primary school will receive £17,480 from the government to support the delivery and provision of PE and sport. We use our ring-fenced government sports grant to support the delivery and provision of PE and sport.
- Almost all of our children walk, cycle or scooter to school each day. We are committed to walking as much as possible - for example, we walk to St Peters Church every half term, walk to the school allotment and walk to the local woods to observe changes in nature.
- We actively strive to improve health and safety for our families and have regular sessions with ('Walking Bus' to help teach children about road safety, scooter and bike safety and walking to school. Our year 5's recently participated in a workshop where they learnt the importance of not texting or looking at your phone.
- We are actively planning to add a 'Walking Bus' to our provision.
- We are fortunate to have our own outdoor swimming pool on site where all children swim in the Summer term. Our older classes also benefit us taking them to deep water swimming lessons at Stevenage Leisure Centre in the Spring term. In the Year 2019/20, XX% of our current year 6 were able to swim at least 25 metres.
- ALL children are receiving Tennis sessions with a trained coach in small groups.
- We hold a Sports Day each July and even managed to complete this during lockdown with our whole family virtual sports day! We take part in annual events such as, Athletics tournaments, Cross Country and Gymnastic competitions organised through Hertford and Ware school Partnership. We have a football and netball team for children in Years 3, 4, 5 and 6 and enter in both football and netball tournaments ( this year they will be delayed and hopefully played later on in the year due to current restrictions). Although we are a small school, we usually always finish in the top third of events giving our most able children a chance to shine.
- We offer a wide and varied range of after school clubs alongside Netball and Football, we also offer multi sports for all ages.
- We offer a diverse and inclusive range of lunchtime clubs. Each day there is a KS1 and KS2 club including Hockey, mindfulness, and games (currently on hold due to covid restrictions but we can not wait to be back in action!).
Please read the information below which gives details of our PE and Sport Premium Grant and how we allocate the funding.